Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Update

The Monday flight was cancelled due to inclement weather. So I try again tomorrow night, Wednesday. I head off to work at 5:00 A.M. so I can get out of work before 2:00 P.M. Head out to the woods to check the deerstands, get back to change into longjohns, wool pants, insulated boots, choppers, etc. It gets cold buzzing around at 45mph in 20° air for an hour.
The first photo is of a Kolb plane. They are a little more streamlined than the Quicksilver that I'm learning in. They go faster and, of course, cost more!


Here is a shot of a Hawk. There are alot of these light sport aircraft out there on the market. I don't know how one would go about choosing.... maybe by best color or something. As Ivan mentioned, I really should be looking down during the landing process, not "looking up". So I'll try to keep a close watch on the runway when attempting to land.


Here's a Chinook.
For the first half dozen lessons I was just thinking about the process an wondering if I would ever get it. Now I'm thinking alot about what a gas it will be to be able to cruise around the countryside. I'm sure I'll get a new (correct) idea of how things relate to each other on the ground. I know I have some misconceptions about direction and where logging roads run. Seeing them from above will help straighten out that situation.


These Challengers are rather nice, one of the guys from Merrill has a new one and it looks great.
Steve has skiis for his plane. They go on in place of the wheels, and pivot at the center. A bungee cord keeps the tips up so that you can land without the skiis sticking into the snow.... each skii also has two rollers on it, kind of like scooter tires, so you can still land on runways. I guess they are like roller skiis that cross country skiers practice with on pavement. Steve says he like landing in the snow. We'll see.


The Carerras look O.K. too. Steve flys these ultra's all winter, so I am guessing that I will have my sport pilots license by spring. This license is an actual FAA issued license that allows slightly bigger, faster planes and lets you take a passenger. I think I will go for that instead of just the ultralight rating. Fortunatly, this current training will count towards the sport pilot deal. Did I mention that I'm having a good time with this???????

And the photo you have all been waiting for, Carlo the deerslayer with the trophy buck from the Northland.... well, at least we had a good time. We spent last Saturday evening at the Aspen hunting lodge. Someone suggested poker (you know that I have previously announced that I hate cards) so a game started. I'll be darned if I didn't come away with $$$$$10 more than I started with!! I slightly dislike cards. A few deer, a few good friends, some brews and there you have it, a successful hunting season.
Later, dudes and dudettes......

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger umlikedude said...

ya, it's cool, y'know!!! I like the pictures!!!!!!!! But, don't freeze.
love ya,

Bryn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home