Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Hi, it's Wednesday night!!!!

O.K., O.K., so I've been a little busy lately!!! Actually, not much to report on. This first pic is not current but it's of one of my favorite spots, about a mile south of Phillips on Hwy 13. Always a beauty of a spot to drive past in the fall.

I've been getting out hunting a little more lately. That doesn't necessarily mean anything good..... to night I saw the red bellied woodpecker. It's such a bright red-orange it's hard to believe the color. I took a picture one evening while hunting but the bird was too far away and was too fuzzy when cropped and zoomed. So, I took a picture of the bird book page showing them. Ladderback family, named for the bars across the back.

I saw some deer tonight, but not the one in this photo. Six in all, a doe, two fawns, a six pointer, an eight pointer and one unknown (I think it was a small buck traveling with the six pointer). No action to report. At least I'm way more interested now that I've seen some deer!!!

I went flying last night! It was cloudy at the start, but breaking up. There was a very nice sunset and this photo was taken by Peg just before Steve and I came in for a landing. I looked over some of the previous posts about flying and it seems like I may have made it sound like it was quite easy and I was doing most of it. Well, I practiced some more stalls last night, the "approach stalls", and didn't do too well on the first couple. Then on the third one I think I forgot to nail the throttle at the appointed time and put the stick too far forward. As a result, we ended up heading quite steeply toward the ground!! Steve recovered for us and I was wondering what all had happened in the last few seconds...... I tried a few more (after some indepth explaining from Steve!) and they went pretty well. At the landing approach I realized how tricky that is. For the first time I was trying on my own to line up and approach near the ground. I don't know what all I did wrong, but Steve completed the procedure. Man, there is a lot to do to keep one of these things going!! I suppose it will get better with practice... I hope. I am scheduled for flying at 7:30 Saturday morning. Looks like weather will be getting a little warmer toward the weekend, but it will still be chilly that early in the day!!

Ah, the October Classic! I'm listening to the game as I type: bottom of 4th, 0-0 This photo is Blum hitting his game winning homer last night. 14 innings???? I slept through the last six......

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Looks like Madison area is Northern limit for the Red Bellied, but in the western part of the state it goes farther north. Hard to tell on that little map. I have never seen one of these birds before this fall. They really have a loud call, and harsh sounding, too.

The abrupt change in attitude of the plane occured while trying some power off stalls at about 1000 ft above ground. I'm sure Steve is not allowing me to have the chance to do that kind of thing anywhere near the ground. Dual controls are nice, too!!

Oh, sure, now I have to get a bigger plane and a sport pilot license........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home