Thursday, September 22, 2005

Not so good....

Wednesday afternoon late we started in putting the plywood on the new roof area of the garage addition. The forcast was for thunder storms late evening so we wanted to get it covered. We managed to finish it up at about 7:15 in the gathering dark, with lightning flickering in the West. We had a little rain during the night, but the new area is dry!



I've been watching this hornet's nest all summer. I'm thinking "Man, that will look cool in the Lodge!". So you don't want it to stay out too long and get stuck in a long fall rain spell...... so tonight, as it is supposed to get quite cold tonight, I thought I should bag it and harvest it. It's a dandy, isn't it?






So I got the step ladder, a garbage bag, a pruning shear and my camera and I headed out to the front lawn to get that thing cut out of the tree and put away in the shed.






So far, so good. I got the bag on the nest and the top of the bag tied around the branch. I thought I'ld take a pic.... Here comes the "not so good" part.

After snapping the shot, I was just going to go up the ladder and cut the branch, but just then a big hornet came flying up and started looking for his front door. A couple more showed up in a few minutes...... so, I decided to wait until after dark to see if they have left. Maybe I will have to cut it down tomorrow morning..... Oh, well.


In other GOOD news, you may recall the Ivan was going hunting in Idaho with Chuck. Well rumor has it that Chuck got a BIG bull elk last Sunday. It was 25 yards from Chuck and 20 yards from Ivan, but not a clear shot for Ivan. Chuck, however, had a shot! And he got it. Bow hunting in Idaho.... I think I'll have to go with them next year!!!

4 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, September 23, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Mission accomplished at 7:00A.M. today. Are you supposed to spray them with something like polyurethane varnish to preseve them????

 
At 9:51 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Sometimes when it is dry there are hornets that live in the ground just to the southeast of the well cover in the back yard. I usually notice them as I drive over the nesting area and they come out madder than a hornet!!

 
At 11:12 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

They serve no useful purpose. Case closed.

 
At 12:48 PM, September 26, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

I'll get some of those springy antennea thingies they used to wear on Saturday Night Live. You can wear them in the Lodge and all the hormets and killer bees will think you're one of them and leave you alone....
Hee,hee,heeee.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home