Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fly-in at Price Cty Airport

The ultralight fly-in at Phillips was on Sept. 3rd & 4th. We just went on Saturday as we needed to go to Burlington on Sunday and Monday (but that's a whole other story). I went with a particular interest in getting airborne in a powered parachute. I got there about 10:00A.M. and it was getting too rough up above from thermals and stuff, so I would have to wait till late afternoon for a ride. So I spent quite a bit of time talking to Greg from Irma. He flew his single seat Quicksilver MX to Phillips from Irma for the event. Cool lookin' little plane, hey? Here's a shot of the added on fiberglass nose piece. As these planes do not come apart easily, they require storage in the form of a hangar, with a wing span of about 30' and the plane about 18' long, it would be a considerable project. The other option would be to rent space in a hangar at the airport. There were two other Quicksilver planes there. They also flew to Phillips for the event, one from Barron and one from somewhere farther west. One was a single place and the other was a double seater. These people talked a lot about their planes and where they've been with them. I also got the names of a few people in the area that fly and train others, and I found the website of Northcentral Wisconsin's chapter of the EAA.

So it was now time to start thinking about the power chutes. There were five of them in the area, four giving rides for $30 a shot. These beasts have a tubular metal frame, three wheels, seats, a motor and prop, and a 400 square foot parafoil chute. By the way, that's Peggy coming in for a landing above us. So she got to sample it before I did, at least now I knew it might be safe...... just kidding. Just before take-off they lay the chute out on the ground behind the motor unit. Then they start the motor and the prop wash fills the chute, it raises, they give it more gas, start rolling and when the chute is stable above, they nail the throttle and off you go!!!
These things are pretty neat to fly in. You look down in front and the only part of the plane you see are the foot operated steering bars. Nice view of the area from 400' above the ground. So here we are just after lift off. Seems like you're just floating up. There's always a head wind of 26-32 miles/hour, as that's the speed the chute can move through the air. They climb quite fast and supposedly the ceiling for these things is 10,000 ASL. When you look up you see that big, colorful chute above you, holding you up in the sky with some REALLY TINY looking strings. Kinda creepy so I didn't look up much.















Here are a couple of pix of the view at 400 feet up. Take a ride in one these if you get the chance!!!!



5 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, September 09, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

I took the camera with me everywhere I went that day. I think I came home with about 150 pix on the card......
what fun.

 
At 2:22 PM, September 10, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Don't hold your breath waiting for me to get a powered chute. They are neat but kind of restricted by wind, thermal activity, speed, etc. I am going on Tuesday evening to get a ride in a Quicksilver. The ultralight flight instructor in Merril has one and will take me up so I can get a better idea if this type is what I would like to fy (which I think it is). It's a little fixed wing plane like the black one in the photos in this post.

 
At 6:45 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Yram, the engines are mostly two cycles in the 400-600 cc range. They have mufflers which are semi-adequate in my book. You can, however, get 'silencers' put on them which require a re-jet of the carburetors because the exhaust is now restricted which causes a too rich fuel misture scenario. I have now heard one with the silencer on it. While flying in the powered chute rig, the air noise and propeller/air concussion makes the engine noise un-noticable. On the ground they sound like a chain saw at about 3/4 throttle and not cutting anything..... I guess.


Hippo, what are you, anti-american? The Harley is a classic icon of American culture. Get over it or buy earplugs like the Harley riders do...........

 
At 3:54 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

I guess I didn't look too much at the knots, just the REALLY TINY strings that were holding the chute to the cart.... I'l send the regular photo of the chute.

Hippo? Don't really know, but it sounds like (it) could use a hypo...

 
At 7:56 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Red Green said...

Oh so do I. But this dippo certainly seems to be a little high strung. I'll bet if someone was using a Lawnboy 5 miles away it would be too loud. Some people just refuse to be happy... happo.... hippy..... oh, dippy, I bet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home