Monday, April 24, 2006

Allright, allready!!

I have been falling behind on this blog.
Last week I spent most evenings studying for the blasted knowledge written test. On Saturday morning at 10:00 I went to Tomahawk Regional airport to take the test, which is done via a computer testing company that is tied to the FAA. The test is downloaded, done on the compter and scored via computer and computer records are established and stored somewhere, I hope on an F16.....
I got a 95 which means two wrong answers out of 40 questions. You need 70% to pass, so you can get 12 wrong and still be O.K. There is a ton of information to be read, studied and understood, and the questions touch on a little of everything, each test download is different so you don't know what things will be asked, just that there is a ton of junk to remember.
After the test, I went to Merrill (for about the 2000th time, it seems) to get some more dimensions for the weight and balance calculations which I completed tonight. Found a slow leak at the fuel pump on the plane but could not determine the cause, got a headache and went home about 4:00. Sunday morning I left home at 14:00 Zulu to go to Merrill (2001st)to work on plane. Steve and I both had new tires to put on, and I had to fix that fuel leak. I messed with the fuel pump, took it off the plane, managed to tighten some fittings and got it to stop leaking. Took a couple of hours. Helped Steve raise the back of his plane about 11" to level flight attitude so we could measure the distance from the datum (front wheel axle on his plane) to the leading edge of wing. More info for weight and balance. Steve wrestled with his tubeless tires for a few hours and finally got them done. I managed to pinch an inner tube while re-assembling my split rims, so the tire went flat. I had to make a trip to Fleet Farm in Wausau to get a new tube!! Grrr..... finally got everything done at about 6:30. Too pooped and frazzled to consider flying. Too bad, cause the wind quit and it was a great evening. Oh, well.
So now we need to get the rest of the paperwork done to arrange the airwortiness inspection. Found out that this process will probably take about three weeks. It just never ends!
I have some other news and photos to post and will do that when I get time. Maybe later this week.

I gotta go, Carlo

4 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, April 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you have any idea what you were getting into regarding flying? sounds very complicated. Kudos to you for doing so well on your test! We all knew you would...you are such a good student!

 
At 10:52 PM, April 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous says: Yran

 
At 12:52 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Red Green said...

Thanks, all. And is it ever nice to see those nice, blue names at the start of your comments!!! Good job!

I gotta go, Carlo

 
At 11:27 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Red Green said...

Dear Yran. Are you any relation to Iran? Onlyhow, no. I had no idea this sport pilot gig would be so involved nor that there would be so many hands held out waiting for money!! Oh, well.
Eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home