Sunday, February 26, 2006

Cross-country accomplished!!!

The dual one, that is. I went with Steve today to make a cross-country trip of at least 75 nautical miles(NM), with one leg at least 25 NM long with a minimum of two full stop landings at two different points. I got to KRRL early and did the pre-flight inspection, topped off the fuel tank and added about 4 ounces of oil to the engine oil resevoir (trying to finalize the proper oil level on the stick). I met Steve at the terminal where we went over my preparations for the flight. We called the 800 number for a VFR flight briefing. This gives you current weather conditions, wind direction and velocity, winds aloft, etc. We took off for Medford and started acquiring reference points to verify our course progress. We used a stop watch to time intervals between reference points and we used my GPS for establishing our initial heading. Also handy for how far away from our target we were. Half way to Medford the GPS batteries gave out (only 20 degrees outside and probably in the plane, too). I had some new batteries with us and we swapped them out when we landed in Medford. We did a stop and go there and headed to Central Wisconsin Airport near Mosinee.
Being my first time at an airport with a control tower, I was a bit nervous about getting things right. I asked Steve what would happen if I screwed up at CWA, would they send up a fighter jet to take us out? "NO, NO, but try to do it right and I'll help you", he said. It went generally O.K., we did 3 stop and go landings there and then asked to park. We went to one of the terminal buildings and warmed up, then headed back to the 'tarmack', what ever that means......
So soon we were cruising North, skirting the power plant at Weston, flying over Lake Wausau in the vicinity of the Downtown Airport. We headed towards Merrill, picking up reference points along the way. I had a great time.

We made it back to Merrill, where I made a nice touchdown, if I may say so myself. End of a great afternoon of flying and a milestone in my training. I'm starting on the plan for my solo cross country flight, which I hope to complete soon. I'm at home now where I had macaroni soup as a celebration supper, and finishing things off with a double vodka gimlet. Life is good.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home