Sunday, December 03, 2006

Pumpkin Chiffon.......


Take my word for it, the key to a great pumpkin chiffon pie is making sure you have enough minutes on your phone to call your mom for assistance..... I have made this pie several times and despite my lack of confidence in the preparations, it turns out fine. No, it turns out great!! I am always surprised when people don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about when I mention pumpkin chiffon pie... here I have the crust ready for baking.



And this is how it looked just out of the oven. On another note, I must mention that I have been working on a party pig of Hereford & Hops wonderful version of Maibok, a style that I'm having a hard time finding a link for.... it was traditionally brewed in May and was a celebratory style, often with a high alcohol content. This particular batch was brewed at about 8%.....



O.K., I thought I had a glass or two in the pig, by the time the crust is done I need a refill.... the third glass of the night is poured, pig not empty.... so I rig up a double boiler set-up (in the absence of a real one) and start cooking the pie filling. You need to seperate three eggs, beat the yolks with sugar, and then add in the pumpkin, milk and spices and cook until thick. Then you need to add the disolved gelatin. About this time I discover that that pig held yet another glass of that nectar know as Maibok.....


Here is the finished product doing the chill thing in the refer... you also have to beat the egg whites with sugar and then stir them into the mixture before filling the pie shell. Note that the recipe yields slightly more than a pie-shell-full. Testing material.


Did I mention that Peggy's family is coming for dinner tomorrow? That's what the pie is for. Did I mention that Peggy made a cake pan full of apple pie for the dinner tomorrow? It looks and smells yummy....



Lucy, while in home depot last weekend, we saw a sink sprayer nozzle and thought we would give it a try. It looks ugly as sin, but you should see it clean out the sink after a large batch of dishes. And believe me, pumpkin chiffon pie is about the only thing that I would willingly mess up that many dishes for. If anyone wants the recipe, please let me know.

I gotta go, Carlo

3 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Red Green said...

Walleye dint maik know deap dish peatsah...... coarse its pye krust!

Besides, check yer email......

I gotta go, Carlo

 
At 6:09 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Carlo said...

Carlo, what's the deal? Looks like you've went domestic. I haven't wrote in a while cause we've been rebuilding the west end of Possum Lodge onaconna one of the guys decided to try ultralights (thanks to your stupid writing on this dumb blog) and he landed to close to the lodge.... hit the corner and took out the porch posts. Its nearly back to regular now.

Thanks for nuthin, Red

 
At 3:54 PM, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, that pie crust looks like the work of a professional. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that apple pie with ice cream. Yum!!
What was the rest of the meal? I have one of those nozzles on my faucet here and they are great. Glad you two are having fun.

Love, Lucy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home