Monday, December 25, 2006

Tree tales......


I like a big Christmas tree as well as anyone, but Peg was pushing the envelope to new limits. I finally convinced her to shut off the saw and look for a slightly smaller one!



And here the master woodsman, Carlo, has felled a mighty Balsam tree for display in the Ottertail homestead livingroom. These trees had not been sheared for many years and were growing kind of close together, so the lower limbs were all swooping up to get to the light. We kind of failed to see that initially, but as you will see, it all turned out O.K.



After much measuring, planning and maybe a few unnecessary choice words, the tree was standing upright and steady.



Here it is, in it's final position and ready for all the trimmings. This will be the first tree and decorating of the house for Peg and I. I hope we don't get into a fight during the decorating. I know that this event can be the start of a good argument......



So we made it through the light installation without incident. O.K., I did get a little testy when the lights kept going out for no apparent reason.....



Peg did the final trimming with a collection of things from each of our past trees, items that our kids had made when younger, and I'm thinking that it looks just great!! I suppose Hailee will be climbing it when she gets here....
Just for kicks I did a search on the world's tallest Christmas tree. The first hit was of this tree in Oregon. Claimed to be the tallest living Christmas Tree.
Further investigation reavealed this monster in Tasmania.
I looked some more and found the world's tallest artificial tree in Brazil!!
Then I find this story from Idaho.
Then this thing made from cables and such on a mountainside in Italy.
I'm not sure what this thing is, but it looks like it may be in Singapore?
And here is an interesting entry (no photo)from Chlorine Online!

So you'll have to sort it out on your own......


In this shot, you can see the red and white plates I mentioned last post. Peg is keeping the dining room set for action. It looks good.



This is a photo from a few years ago. Notice the trees at the upper right (that are not there anymore).



We just got some snow on Friday night. I'll throw a few of those in some other time.










____________Hey!! Scramble those eggs, would ya???_____________

1 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, December 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gene and Peg the tree looks great!!
The table at ready looks good too. I did not have a tree this year and that makes yours seem particularly personal. Hope your xmas is merry when all the kids come home. Thanks again for the nice presents. Will have to find a special place for the calendar.

Lucy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home