Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Dohh!!!!!

Just got back from Merrill. Tuesday night fly night, teamed up with Steve and Karen in Steve's, Pat Heckart in his and me in mine and we headed north to the Irma area. We put down in a 2500', well kept grass strip on private land. The owner has a really nice hangar out there in the sticks with one very nice old Aeronca plane in it and another one in the rebuild process. Lots of parts, wings with no covering on them, endless cool junk to look at... there were four people who had driven cars there and the two people who live there. A little while later, Greg Stevenson flew in from about 10 miles north. Everyone talked and looked at the planes and talked some more. About 8:20 the three Merrill planes headed back and we got there at 8:45. A beautiful evening, especially later after the wind completely died. Smooth going and a really pretty sky. This was my first time flying with other planes, so that was good. I couldn't fly as slow as the Quicksilvers go, so I made lots of turns out to the side, then come back, etc. As for the Doh!!! above, I left my camera on the seat of the truck!!!! What a dope. I missed a major amount of opportunities tonight.
I have about a dozen solo hours in and Steve will now give an endorsement for a recurring cross-country flight so I can get the plane to Phillips!! That will happen as soon as I get in touch with (I could have said "as soon as I get with...", but I hate that.....) Al, who owns "my hangar" in Phillips. Perhaps one evening next week!
Last Sunday we had a 10 hr class in preparation for the practical Sport Pilot test, which consists of an oral section that can be a couple of hours, and a flight test that is shorter. John, a friend from Antigo, just took his tests and the flight portion was only 28 minutes. I'll be glad when this is complete.



So, you're stuck with old photos.... this is from a place north of Thunder Bay. Says these bridges, which you can see in the background (or backsky, as the case may be) are the longest cable type bridges in North America.


And here is a look back from the top to where I was just standing. Cool little gorge.


Here's a look at one bridge. They weren't too bad to cross if you pretended there was something under you... besides the ground way down there. As soon as I looked over the cable railing and saw naught but air, I was a little uneasy!! Give me an airplane any day.


Here is a view of the other span.


Peggy had no problem with going out on these things. I was hesitant. But, the place was really pretty and the bridges were awesome. I still can't figure out why someone would build these things way out in the middle of nowhere??? The little shop near the place has pictures of that gorge in the winter with ice and snow all over. People come there to do ice climbing and there are neat pictures of folks hanging on their ropes on some mammoth ice formations on the gorge walls.


Happy Memorial Day!! Is that a proper thing to say? Oh, well...............

I gotta go, Carlo

3 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Carlo said...

Don't worry, Carlo. Old picsures are just fine. At least ya got digital. At Possum Lodge we got this nice thing called pole aroid land camera. Works O.K...

Yer bud, Red

 
At 12:44 AM, May 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must have been a fun night. Those pictures of the bridges are awesome.

Lucy

 
At 8:07 AM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Red Green said...

Did you mean what do I mean by dohh!!!? That's what Homer says when he screws up.... I can't even get that right!! Doh...

I have an appointment to have my camera grafted to my left hand. Maybe that will work??

I haven't found any time lately to watch TV. I catch Friday Night Fights for boxing if I can. That's about it.

I agree, a trip around Superior in slow mode is great. Go about 125 miles a day and look at stuff.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home