Tuesday, July 04, 2006

July IV

O.K., this is important, so don't skip down to the pictures!! I had started to believe that some southern cousins had either moved away, lost their internet-ing license or broken all their fingers, rendering their keyboards useless. As it turns out, none of the above situations exist!! I also have been made aware of the fact that some people that I work with are reading this blog. So the big question is this? Where are all the comments????? Don't just lurk out there in anonymity, type- type- type!!!

Whew--I guess I'm calm now...
You last heard from me after my pilot test last Tuesday. Busy describes me since that. Wednesday night was quite windy and I mowed the lawn. Got up at 4:30 Thursday morning to go to Merrill to get my plane!! Bryn dropped me off at 6:05 and I took off and headed home. Got back to Phillips, put the plane away and jumped on my motorcycle (it slept over in the hangar for two days) and got to work by 8:00. That evening I took Peg for her first ride in the Flightstar. We flew around the area, visited Ottertail by air and had a good time. Next day, Friday, we headed out via motorcycle for Hartford, Wi, to attend Pool Week. Got there late Friday evening and stayed til noon on Sunday. We rode home in the hot, humid air and collapsed. Following below is a summary of events since that.....



This plane arrived at Price County airport about mid-day on Monday, July 3rd. It was piloted by John Noble, Sr., and he brought us.......




Yram! So we talked planes a while, then John and John left to head back to Black River Falls.










A little later in the day we headed back to Phillips, bought some gas and filled the plane's tank. I'm not so sure Yram was completely sure she wanted to go up.





We got in and situated. I'm not sure what the hand signals were about. I don't even understand light gun signals yet.....





Carlo goes through the check list to make sure everything is in order before heading onto the taxiway.





We head out towards runway 01 to take off to the north.









One more check on the final section of the checklist and we're ready to go.










From Prentice we could already see the Ottertail homestead house, as the trees are few to the north of the house. It will make a good beacon to head for when I get a runway made down there.




Here's another view, a little closer. It was nice having a photo-
grapher in the plane instead of me trying to do it while flying!





One of the coolest features in this area are all the little streams meandering through swampy areas. They look like snakes...




This is a neighboring farm with a bunch of super-sized haybales, which look pretty small from up there. By the way, Tim had pointed out that you can double click any of these photos to get a bigger view. Then press F11 for full screen view. Press F11 to return to normal screen and then "Back" to go back to the post. It makes some things easier to see....




Another cool little stream.













As a prelude to the Pool Week post, here is a photo to get you started. I'm not sure what actually was going on, but here is cousin Lindy "spouting off" about something........








Today, the 4th, Lucy and Yram headed to Mountain to visit the northern center of FSMism. I guess the flag was flying, but more importantly, Dennis cooked a turkey!!
Peg and I headed out a little after noon to motorbike up to Winter. An annual event for us as Peg's grandfather was from Winter and his birthday was July 4th. Then we headed north again and made a stop at the MuskyTrail Resort bar. North some more and we were traveling County S, which is shaped just like it's name. One of the curviest roads in the area, it's always fun on the bike. We continued north to Lake Namakagon, and were able to find Mikie's house. It's the first time we were ever there and we had a good visit, although short. Headed home via 77 and 13, stopped at Subway in Park Falls for supper and here I am, at the computer again.....

Later, I'm sure......
Carlo

2 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, July 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's great to have Mary home for a few days. Time flies tho. We had a good supper of fish tonight, thanks to Ivan. We had a good time at pool week. They are always fun people!!

Lucy

 
At 10:07 AM, July 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlo is an exceptional pilot and a superb tour guide. What a hoot! And yes, I was a bit scart but the calm and capable pilot quickly calmed my fears.

Thanks for the fish Ivan!!!! Perfect dinner last night...Lucy's scalloped potatoes and all the bluegills I could cram in my mouth.
Yram

 

Post a Comment

<< Home