Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Airventure 2006 report.

As always, double clicking on a photo will bring up a larger version. F11 key will give full screen, F11 again to get back. Use your "Back" button to return to post. _____________________________________________________________

I left Phillips on Monday morning at 6:30. All set with trailer loaded with camping gear and bike on top.....



Here's my tent set up at Oshkosh. There were about 20 different people from our EAA chapter that attended,not all at once, some for a day or two... There were four camps that stayed for the whole week.



This was the weirdest camp! I saw the people occasionally, sitting in their lawn chairs or in the truck cab. I guess they used the sleeper in back and the truck was running sometimes--air conditioning, I guess.



Steve, on the right, is a real go getter. Even at camp he takes the time to go over material for some guys from Wild Rose. He's helping them get ready for their Sport Pilot practical test.



Due to being in the right place at the right time, I got my picture in an EAA publication about maintaining Light Sport planes. The guys in camp noticed that I arrived in camp wearing the same shirt and hat as in the picture.... doh!



Here's the control tower at Wittman field.



And here is Frank Beagle in the announcing tower at the ultralight field. He's the guy I told about in an earlier post. He spent the whole week talking about the planes so the people visiting would know what was going on.



Here are a couple of pictures of the ultralight barn, the headquarters of that area.






And a couple of pix of the sidelines of the UL field.






Here is where I spent a bunch of time, helping with getting planes on and off the field. All the work down there is volunteer, so I thought I may as well help out.



While watching the gate one day, I got to watch a skywriter make a smile face and spell out EAA. The writing was so big I couldn't get it in my camera lens.....






Here are a bunch of photos of some UL and Light Sport planes........









Here is a Flightstar like mine. The factory pilot gave me a ride in it one morning.






This plane belongs to Sean Curry, the FAA examiner that did my practical test.


















There was a re-enacting area for WWII buffs. Here's a tent that supposedly looks like a field set-up.






And here is Jerry's one-man band!!




Here are a bunch of miscellaneous photos of older planes.





















Every day they had an airshow that started with some skydivers with flags and stuff, and someone in an old biplane circled them as they came down to the field.



A couple of days there was fake bombing by some B17's, Lancasters, B24's and B25's.














Here is one of three remaining P38's.














Here's the wing-walker guy waiting to go climging around on that bi-plane as it flies. Thay may be nuttier than jumping out of a plane that's not in trouble....

































This is how the sky looked Sunday morning just before it got almost as dark as night. Then the wind and rain arrived in time to soak my tent so I could pack it up wet for the trip home.















I had a pretty good time down there last week and am looking forward to going again next year. Hope to fly down next time.....

I gotta go, Carlo

7 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are all wonderful. That last picture of the dark sky is eerie. So glad you had a good week.

Lucy

 
At 12:26 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Red Green said...

Actually, it rained durning the night on Monday and Tuesday, and during the afernoon on Wednesday, did not get wet in tent. Then just HOT and HUMID until Sunday morning. I rode from Oshkosh to Lake du Bay in moderate to light rain, then O.K. the rest of the way.

 
At 7:40 PM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pic Carlo - thanks - glad you got home safe and sound - well maybe forget the sound part - margaret

 
At 7:41 PM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops meant pics-

 
At 8:07 PM, July 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,Mr. Gene ! I am Rosie's friend from Brazil, and talking to her she told the you are also a pilot like me, I got my PP in Ft. Lauderdade in florida a couple of years ago, I've seen pictures of your plane and runway in your house it looks really neat.. Have fun in oshkosh ! maybe next year I will go ! take pictures and post them, so I can see it later alright ?
hugs
Ricardo Nogari

 
At 8:25 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Carlo said...

Hey, Ricardo! Maybe you can make it up here for Airventure next year. I am hoping to get a few days off work next week to go to Oshkosh. I will post photos on the current blog, http://ottertailcountry.blogspot.com/ , so watch for them there. Thanks for commenting and keep in touch.
Gene

 
At 8:29 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Carlo said...

Ricardo, I'm also going to post some pics that Rosie sent from Brazil, so watch the blog to see yourself on there.
Gene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home